Tuesday 29 July 2014

Countdown to Chelmsford Marathon 2014 - Week 8 of 20 - 2 Outstanding performances neither of them mine.

This week was a poor training week for me personally. Only 3 runs and 19 miles.

1 x Easy paced 10k
1 x Easy paced 5 Miler
1 x Slog of a 7.5 miler.

Body was tired and aching this week. Busy week at work and I had a drink and dinner offer Friday night and was unavailable for training Sunday so my opportunities to run were more limited. My right leg isn't quite right, and can't quite put my finger on it. I think it is a tight right calf, but I'm limping a bit, particularly the morning after a run day. Think I need a trip to the physio! So a lost week of training really, but hopefully I will have recharged my batteries somewhat and can hit some good mileage and sessions next week.

The focus of this week though were the Thunder Run and the Outlaw Iron Distance Triathlon. I had Pete at the Thunder Run running solo and unfortunately with the nature of not being able to be in two places at once I was unable to cheer him on. He performed brilliantly in my absence, thankfully having better weather than we got last year and did 20 laps, 200km (125 miles) in 24 hours. Dealing with injuries as well as all the other things that come with a 24 hour endurance race to finish in 2nd place as he did last year. A victory for him will come one year soon I'm sure.

The other event namely the Outlaw Triathlon was the event that I got up close and personal with. I didn't have to do much myself apart from sleep very little and drive quite a lot and cheer. Luke performed brilliantly in all 3 disciplines, a 1:17 swim, a sub 6:30 bike and a 4:50 marathon along with some transitions he made it home in 12:50, in excess of 3 hours quicker than my effort from 2012. It was an epic performance and just a massive day, thankfully I had booked Monday off work to recover but even after spending two hours in the medical tent Luke still found the energy to get himself to work the next day. Puts us mortals to shame!

Plenty of inspiration and motivation gained from watching Luke perform so well and dig deep when it really got tough. Hopefully use that as fuel going forward with just 12 weeks to go till Chelmsford Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment